Thursday, January 14, 2010

Daley Bicentennial Plaza




Today I went to the ice rink at the Daley Bicentennial Plaza. To prevent ambiguity I should say that the rink is not located at what many call the "Daley Plaza" but rather at the very northern end of Grant Park(east of Michigan and just south of Randolph). This is a(n) (n)ice rink whose best feature is it's location. It feels like the placid stillwater collecting next to the rushing river that is Michigan Ave and westward. By that I mean that the rink is not very crowded; this was my second visit to the rink (but my first time documenting it) and on both occasions between 1 pm and about 2:30 there were never more than ten people out on the ice. This kind of amazed me considering how congested the rest of downtown is, but this fact makes more sense once one notices that the nearby rink along michigan ave in millennium park is perpetually crowded with awkward teenagers et al. Also, the views of the city are spectacular from the rink. Inside the building displaying the title of the park depicted above there are locker rooms next desk where one can rent skates. I also saw in other parts of the building people playing ping pong, a yoga class, and what looked like a child daycare program.

No comments:

Post a Comment